- August 5, 2012
- Added the cast listings for the Zulu, Turkish, Croatian, Slovenian, and Romanian dubs
(thanks to geheim geheim and Kecan).
- February 1, 2010
- Added the cast listing for the Urdu (Pakistani) dub to the International
page; credit to CubbieSimba.
- March 16, 2009
- In response to visitor feedback that some of the characters'
names aren't in fact accurate Swahili translations as has been claimed for
all these years, I updated the FAQ and the character pages to indicate
that the translations originally came from the Skybox trading cards and
that their translations are of dubious quality.
- August 3, 2008
- Updated the link to the PDF working-copy script from
AllMovieScripts.com (defunct) to the Internet Movie Script Database
(IMSDb). Thanks to uvok lion for the catch!
- April 6, 2008
- Added "Tickets/Entradas" links to the included toolbar, as an
experiment to see if it increases traffic to the ticket-buying gateways
I've got links to.
- March 18, 2008
- Added the Finnish translation of the script, which was compiled by
- March 6, 2008
- Added The Lion King Pride Forum to the Interactive page.
- October 30, 2007
- Updated Criswell's "TLK Compleat Character List".
- October 8, 2007
- Added the Spanish language cast, thanks to CubbieSimba.
- August 23, 2007
- Added a link to the archive of foreign TLK comics hosted on
PhotoBucket, pointed my way by Jeanette.
- April 24, 2007
- At the suggestion of Oskari Grönroos, added a new section for
really ought to be thought of as what the rest of the site should look
like eventually, if I ever knuckle down and do the general-content
overhaul it so badly needs, not just a veneer over the top-level
navigation. But for now, the new section is linked from the Other Goodies
page, at the bottom.
- April 17, 2007
- Fixed the Random Image script on the main page, making it use the perl
modules for image examination rather than parsing the output of mogrify.
Also reworked the Links page to use CSS, which should make maintenance a
little less of a headache.
- February 21, 2007
- Updated some of the wallpaper images, courtesy of Criswell.
- January 21, 2007
- Fixed the Search function on the Characters page, which has been
broken ever since the fanart.lionking.org redesign a year ago.
- November 8, 2006
- Rhythm of the Pride Lands was just added to the iTunes Store,
so I added the appropriate link (as well as updating a few others that had
- September 25, 2006
- Moved all the remaining movie files over to James Venning's site (see
July 11). We're also on a new server, at ThePlanet, after WebHostPlus ate
Managed.com and promptly decided to go belly-up, taking the lionking.org
server with it.
- August 22, 2006
- Whoops! Turns out that during the redesign in December, I'd hard-coded
the "Picture of the Day" for design purposes, but then forgot to update
the script that rewrites the HTML pages every night to update that bit
too. Thanks to Troy for catching that!
- August 5, 2006
- Made some revisions to the Simba's Pride script, pointed out by
- July 11, 2006
- James Venning of Vee Media has generously offered the use of his
unmetered server to host some of the movie files from lionking.org. This
symbiotic relationship will mean users can still download the media files
at a good speed, and I won't have to worry about the data throughput
putting me over my monthly allocation (or throttle downloads to prevent
it). Currently only the AVC (.mp4) movies are being hosted at
lionking.vee-media.com, but as those are the most popular and best
quality-for-size balance, this should work out well.
- June 27, 2006
- For some reason, the guest book script had reverted back to the
version prior to the changes made in January in response to the
SiteAdvisor.com thing, and indeed prior to the anti-spam measures I'd put
in a year or two ago. I'm guessing this has something to do with all the
server swaps last month, but it's got me scratching my head nonetheless.
Fixed it back up.
- June 1, 2006
- Changed the "Netscape" icon for th HTML version of the Script to an
IE/document-styled icon, like in the modern world. Also removed the
references to Netscape being the only browser that could do tables. Geez,
that bit must have not been changed in ten years...
- May 29, 2006
- Added the TLK Compleat Character List (by Criswell) to the Characters
- April 25, 2006
- Did some maintenance on the Links page; dead links should be gone or
- April 9, 2006
- We had a day or two of downtime as the colocation provider swapped
disks for us and the server was rebuilt, as the result of a failing
disk. This was exacerbated by the fact that they gave me the wrong root
password and then didn't respond to requests for help for over 12 hours,
meaning that much incoming mail was received by the default-enabled
Sendmail server and rejected because the usernames were unknown (the user
database had not yet been migrated). All is restored now, though.
- March 31, 2006
- Added a link to the German translation of the TLK 1 1/2
- January 20, 2006
- Added privacy-related warnings and a "display e-mail" checkbox/option
to the guest book, in response to the discovery that SiteAdvisor.com had
tested the guest book with a dummy address and had it screen-scraped and
spammed. E-mail addresses are now hidden by default.
- January 9, 2006
- Added information about the re-released Simba's Pride
soundtrack CD, which is the same thing as Return to Pride Rock
minus the Lebo M. songs that were "inspired" by the movie.
- January 6, 2006
- Added three new (and exclusive!) concept art images, not found in the
Art of the Lion King book (as far as I can tell), sent to me by
- January 4, 2006
- Added a few new model sheet/storyboard images, found on various sites
here and there (namely magicalears.com
and The Animation
Artshop). Thanks to Kate and starskipper101, respectively!
Also added the Down/Maxwell Theory of Nala's Paternity to the FAQ, and
added two movies ("The Morning Report" and "One by One") submitted by
- December 13, 2005
- This only deserves a mention because it's so stupid: for ten years I
had the "Friends" picture of Adult Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa (one of the
original ten stills released by Disney in 1994) listed in the
Miscellaneous Images section. Just now, though, Raaion pointed out that
it's an actual screenshot. So I moved it into Act 2 where it belongs. I
could have sworn I'd checked that and found it was only a promo image or
something... boy do I feel silly.
- November 25, 2005
- Moved the newly redesigned Sounds and Music page into place. This
pulls the "CD Tracks", "MIDI Files", and "Song Lyrics" sections together
into a single unified listing of all the released albums and their
collective track information. This doesn't entirely obviate the need for
the MIDI Files section (there are a few MIDIs that don't fit into the new
format), but it definitely is a relief to get rid of the CD Tracks page,
which was always a hideous mess. (I'm not sure what to do about the Lyrics
page—it still has its own top-level link, and it's probably best to
just leave it that way, just to make it all the easier on visitors.)
There's still some tweaking left to do to make it totally finished, but
overall I like the new format. It makes it look like there's more stuff in
the section, even though there are fewer pages to wade through.
Incidentally, the "WAV and RealAudio" page has also been redesigned, using
scrolling divs to eliminate the old and cumbersome frames. I'm also on the
verge of replacing the RealAudio files with MP3s, which is one of those
things that I should have done ages ago. Platform independence and all
- November 16, 2005
- Lots of little tweaks and adjustments as the new design is slowly
rolled out. I've got it applied to all the first-tier pages (the ones in
the first row of the toolbar of text links), and will be doing the rest
soon, as well as trying to figure out a better way to handle the ones with
internal frames like the Sightings page. I've also redone the icon links
so that you get the main sections (Image Archive, Sounds & Music, etc) if
you just hover over the TLK icon—you don't have to click on it to
reveal them. This is in response to hearing almost universally that people
didn't realize there were items hidden there. I hope the new workflow is
- November 15, 2005
- Rolled out the new front-page design, which for the first time since
about 1997 has done away with the big table block in the middle, and uses
some CSS elements to try to stake a claim in the web design sensibilities
of the 21st century. The rest of the pages will be changed over in the
next few days, as I gauge reaction to the new layout.
- October 21, 2005
- Finally revamped the Sightings section, which was getting far too long
and unwieldy. Now it's in a framed page like the Trivia questions in the
Misc section, with three distinct pages driven by a real database
back-end. It's also now got titles for each posting, so it'll be far
easier for people to tell whether their sighting has already been posted
before posting one of their own.
- August 24, 2005
- Added a new essay on the connections between TLK and Shakespeare's
Richard III contributed by Megan the Phantom Girlie.
- June 1, 2005
- Thanks to efforts by Prowl and Chayse (respectively), added new
versions of most of the movie files in AVC (H.264) and AVI (DivX) formats.
Now they're available in better quality and smaller file sizes
than ever before.
- April 21, 2005
- Feedback has consistently identified the Character Profiles page as
the section of the site most in need of improvement; considering that all
it's ever consisted of in the way of content is each character's profile
information copied off the back of the appropriate Skybox trading card,
some voicing and animator info, and a script filtering out all the images
in the Image Archive featuring that character, I'm inclined to agree. So
today I finally redid that section entirely, moving all the individual
characters to a single unified page (sort of the reverse of most of my
previous design impulses) and writing a lengthy biography for each one. I
also added a link that does a search for a given character in the Fan-Art
Archive, and took the opportunity to rework the Image Archive indexing
script so all the code from when fanart.lionking.org was part of the same
machine is now weeded out... and the script is now about half the size. It
now incorporates the same functions as the old character-filtering SSI
...Oh, and before anyone asks: no, I'm not going to add the characters
from Simba's Pride.
- February 5, 2005
- Moved lionking.org and all hosted domains to a new server at
managed.com, where fanart.lionking.org has been residing for almost a year
now. With the help of mod_bandwidth, this means my hosting costs can be
reduced almost by half, and navigation response is a whole lot
faster. (Downloads of large files, however, remains throttled to
- October 5, 2004
- Moved the Sequels links to the top of the News page.
- September 17, 2004
- Added Swedish translations of the scripts for TLK and SP, courtesy of
- May 17, 2004
- Switched the icon on the title page to point to the TLK 1.5 page instead
of the TLK 2 page.
- May 14, 2004
- Added a bunch of TLK 1 1/2 stuff, including fleshing out the
"sequels" page and adding info about the DVD and VHS releases to the Home
Video page. Also, the script is transcribed and added to the Scripts
- November 20, 2003
- Updated the Home Video page with the correct info on the DVD and VHS
re-releases. Better late than never, eh?
- June 11, 2003
- Completely rewrote the Guest Book system from the ground up. The perl
code was essentially unchanged since when I first wrote it in 1995, so it
was really hideous and inefficient; now it's still hideous and
inefficient, but in a much nicer way. It's on a real database back-end
now, like the Text/Fan-Fiction section and the Postcards, so I can
moderate new postings and thereby stem the flood of troublemakers while
impacting legitimate users only minimally. It's more work for me, but
nowhere near as much more work as it would have been if I'd continued
working with those old flat-files (we were up to 31 volumes-- yikes!).
Now, too, it's auto-archiving and browseable without my having to flush it
out every couple of months. Whew.
- April 18, 2003
- Completed the update of the TLK on Home Video page; it now lists
information for the various "Special Edition" packages set to be released
on October 7, and is reorganized to have the DVD section at the top,
followed by VHS, laserdisc, and then VCD. The info on the DVDs is still
speculative (and I don't have photos of my own to use as graphics--
that'll have to wait until I can buy them), but it'll probably serve until
October, unless we hear significant news that disagrees with what we've
all been hearing so far.
- December 31, 2002
- Finished the long-overdue overhauling of the Texts and Fan-Fiction
section, in which all the chaotically listed stories are now organized
into a nice formatted table. There's a real database back-end now, and all
the stories are served dynamically, regardless of format; there's a framed
viewer window which lets you navigate through parts of a story, and
naturally the database means it's way easier now for me to add new stories
and authors, and to track data like upload dates, e-mail addresses,
profile information, and so on. Eventually I'll probably also put in
summaries for all the stories, which you'll be able to read in a popup
window or something. It's just a big cleanup, really, and it makes me feel
a whole lot better.
- December 16, 2002
- Reworked the "full ZIP" option button on the Image Archive pages; now,
instead of linking straight to a prepared ZIP file, it creates a copy of
the standard one and gives it a temp filename as with the user-selectable
ZIP method. The reason for this was to allow full ZIPs of fan-art gallery
pages to have the descript.ion files included; rather than trying to keep
that file updated for every artist every time I insert a new picture or
the artist changes a title or anything, I've set it up now so it creates
the descript.ion file when the user clicks the button and packs it into
the existing ZIP. So it still saves time over having to ZIP up all the
pictures in the gallery; but it also ensures that the descript.ion file is
always up-to-date, because it's auto-generated at download time.
- December 10, 2002
- Redid the title image at the top of the TLK3 page, and reworked the
links and so on, to fit the "TLK 1 1/2: Hakuna Matata" title.
- April 26, 2002
- Following suggestions from Christopher Shumway, the Fan-Art Archive
now has a path navigator for artists' folders-- and there's also a user
preference for maximum pop-up window size. You can open up a pop-up window
and resize it to whatever size you want, then set that size as the largest
a pop-up window will open.
I've also got several new admin scripts-- I can purge stale artists
(artists with no pictures, if their last login was more than a certain
time interval ago), and I can review artists with duplicate e-mail
addresses and consolidate them.
- April 19, 2002
- Suddenly realized that the Postcard system was still on that old, ugly
hack of a flat-file-based system, with its cron-job deletions and its
filename checksums and the server-side-includes and the hey hey hey and
the deletion at midnight glavin. So now it's on a real live database
system, and it seems to be much, much happier. I don't blame it... I don't
know what I was thinking.
- April 9, 2002
- We're back online in yet another new location. But this time, it's in
California, right nearby, in the care of friends who are sympathetic to
our cause with a government grant and a big borrowed pipe. The machine is
new-built, too, with a HUGE amount of disk and a nice 2U rack-mount case.
We're set to go now, for a while anyway...
- February 19, 2002
- Modified the image-zipping/download script so that now, in the Fan-Art
site, it compiles a descript.ion file containing all the picture
descriptions for the files that are being downloaded. This file can be
read by ACDSee and other popular image viewing programs.
- February 16, 2002
- News Flash! Suspected lionking.org founder and
maintainer Brian Tiemann found to be none other then The Great
Cornholio. Co-admin Steven McClain was quoted as saying: "Heh heh
... heh heh ... that was coooool. Heh heh .."
- February 11, 2002
- Added a link to the End Credits from the credits.html page-- an e-mail
from someone who evidently worked on the film found it to be a slight that
the "Credits" link led to a page of credits for the site rather
than the movie. He's right... I don't know what I was thinking. C'mon, I
was pretty stupid back then.
- January 6, 2002
- Updated various parts of the site with information about the 1/1/2003
release of TLK in IMAX theaters, and the subsequent October DVD release
that is likely.
- September 17, 2001
- Yesterday, many artists at fanart.lionking.org uploaded special
pieces of tribute art thanking me for keeping the site running and
improving. They called it "Brian Tiemann Day". Wow... that's quite an
honor, and I was very touched by it. I hope everybody knows now why I love
By the way, I also reworked the "New Pictures" functionality so that it
keeps track of individual pictures rather than just when the user last
looked at an artist, so now per-folder counts work properly. I'll also be
able to fix various pages so a picture is counted as "viewed" regardless of
what page it appears on.
- September 12, 2001
- Found a way to put the folders to good use, so it's a good thing I got
them done in time: a New York Disaster commemorative page. Artists can put
pictures into specially named folders that they create, and those pictures
are collected and displayed on a page linked from the main
fanart.lionking.org site. Many artists have already submitted their work
towards this cause, and now it can be displayed properly and in a timely
- September 11, 2001
- Ignoring (as best I could) the terrorist attacks on New York and
Washington D.C. today, I added an extra feature to the Edit Pictures
section: multiple selection for bulk deletions and folder moves. This will
hopefully make life much easier for those who have lots and lots of
pictures to toss around.
- September 10, 2001
- Finally got around to adding a new and long-awaited feature: folders.
Now artists can set up a completely hierarchical folder system to
organize their pictures. This was probably the largest single feature
adddition since the launch of fanart.lionking.org almost a year ago; it
involves changes to the majority of the display and editing scripts, and
they all have to interact properly. No real bugs reported so far,
though... just a need for a "bulk operation" function, which I'll work on
- August 6, 2001
- After fixing the last couple of bugs (the randomizer wasn't working
properly-- turns out I have to generate a random integer to feed to
MySQL's rand(), or else that one won't give me a random result :P) ...at
any rate, there's now a "See a Random Picture" link on the main
fanart.lionking.org page. Just like a "real" art archive!
- July 31, 2001
- There's a new Top Ten Pictures list at fanart.lionking.org, showing
the site's users' most frequently "favorite" pictures. I fixed a stupid
SQL bug in it today, so now it's even accurate. Yay!
- July 11, 2001
- These past few months have been fairly busy, so I haven't been able
to keep this list updated. Fortunately, there haven't been many changes.
Today I made the "Favorite Pictures" column headings into links that pop
up the "Favorite Pictures" album for the user. I'm also finishing up the
book I've been working on for the past several months, so I'll be able to
start working on a few other features I've had in mind.
Also, we're now located at Paul's network in New York. No more Canada--
woo-hoo! The network right now is on a fairly wimpy 1Mbps DSL link, but
we will be moving to a full T3 within a month or two, and then everything
should be much better.
- April 20, 2001
- Added notes in each artist's "Edit Pictures" section to say who has
which pictures in their "Favorite Pictures" albums. There's also a link to
Cally's new discussion forum.
- March 29, 2001
- Added a "Favorite Pictures" album for each user. I have some
interesting features planned for the near future which will use it-- stay
tuned! I also did a bunch of minor compatibility bug fixes to the
fanart.lionking.org layout, so opening new windows would happen more
- March 12, 2001
- Hhhh... well, this wasn't anywhere near the Great Co-location Disaster
of 2000, but disturbingly similar in feel. Our new co-location provider,
the one who was so horrified at how UUnet had treated us, on Thursday
decided that because they hadn't received payment for the month's hosting
yet (due to an invoice they'd not sent out), they should simply unplug our
network without so much as a warning. Paul took care of it on Saturday,
but it wasn't until today (Monday) that anybody was on-site to plug us
back in. So just what is it with these Canadian hosting companies,
- March 4, 2001
- Search engine! Yaay! Another check-box marked off for
- February 11, 2001
- Yet another feature for fanart.lionking.org: Art Trades/Requests. Now,
any artist who has done requested work for another artist on the system
can submit it to the recipient artist's page, where it will appear in a
separate "Art Trades/Requests" listing gathering together all the art done
by other artists for that recipient. It's just a new/cooler way of
grouping together related art, and hopefully it will help contribute to
the whole "community" thing. Especially if nobody abuses the feature.
- February 8, 2001
- Experimentally removed the "Microsoft Free Zone" stuff from the bottom
of the main page. Not because of any change in server policy or anything,
but because of the following quote from a piece of feedback e-mail:
i'm very impressed, wheew, this is a good stuff. but there's one thing, i
think you should get rid of that anti-microsoft thing in your index page.
not that i support them or anything, but come on, this is lion king, it's
about friendship, love, unity, animation, and has nothing to do with
An excellent point. On sober reflection it would seem that these side
agendas over the past several years have been rather misplaced. There are
better places where I can promote them.
Oh, and the images at fanart.lionking.org are now numbered. And I went
back through this log file and added the year to every date. I guess I
never realized the site would last longer than one or two years...
- February 2, 2001
- Added a new little tweak: now, when viewing one of your Favorite
Artists, any new pictures (inserted since your last viewing of that
artist) will appear with the title field background in a subtle cyan
color. My non-colorblind friends tell me it works well...
- February 1, 2001
- Got the last few MySQL queries done, so now fanart.lionking.org is
running wholly on the live database. No more flat files! Booh yah! And so
begins a new era of giddy coding. I don't think this will ever end, do
- January 31, 2001
- Upgraded to FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, as well as MySQL 3.23.
- January 27, 2001
- I've been slowly integrating MySQL into the fanart.lionking.org
features, and I'm almost done; I only have a few more issues to work out
with various ordering options in the artist view pages. Today I moved the
rating and voting systems into the user-profile database, meaning that I
can now dispense with all the feeble attempts at ensuring voting fairness
by restricting rating/voting to registered users only. It seems to be
working well, and best of all I've been able to eliminate huge ugly
swathes of perl code! Yay!
- January 24, 2001
- Developments in fanart.lionking.org-land... I've come late to the
MySQL game, but I've finally taken the plunge and planned out a new set of
features for the Fan-Art Archive. I'm gradually integrating them into the
system; today I brought online the "Favorite Artists" list feature. This
allows visitors to set up user profiles which allow them to create lists
of their favorite artists; the system then keeps track of whether those
artists have uploaded any new art since the visitor last looked at their
collections. I've got a few more features planned, but for now they're
mostly performance enhancements; the major visible feature is now in
place, and working well (I think).
- January 15, 2001
- Added a new section for TLK Video Games. This has screenshots,
descriptions/reviews, cheats/hints, and availability info.
- December 3, 2000
- Added a "merchandise" link back in, to www.moviegoods.com (who is the
new owner of movie-memorabilia.net, which I used to have a link to). This
new link is in the "Other Goodies" section.
- November 24, 2000
- Several weeks or months ago (we can't know when), one of the CPU fans
died. Since then, the server has been increasingly unstable, freezing
without warning every few weeks, then every few days. Yesterday
(Thanksgiving, as it happens), the machine froze three times in 24 hours,
and we investigated to find one of the CPUs and the motherboard suffering
from heat damage. The system was taken down for the night and brought back
up today after having new parts installed. All should be well now...
- November 19, 2000
- Due to increasing complaints about the conduct of its users, I've
closed down the TLK Chat section. Since every time I tried a different
chat system (that allowed moderators) I received tons of complaints, this
seems to be the only solution. My apologies to everybody.
- November 8, 2000
- Added a mini-feature to the Fan-Art Archive: Now it sets a cookie to
save your artist name, and then automatically selects it for you when you
visit the site again. This should eliminate any potential complaints
people might have about the login menu getting too big!
- October 22, 2000
- Changed the listings in the Fan-Art Archive slightly; now, every
artist's section opens up on the most recent page, rather than page 1. (Of
course, this only applies to artists with 100 or more pictures in their
collections.) Hopefully this will help direct people to the newer pictures
rather than the older ones, since I'm not willing to change it so it's
listed in reverse chronological order. :)
- October 10, 2000
- Phase II of the Fan-Art Archive is now complete. This includes
functionality for artists to rename pictures, replace them, or delete
them. I've done a fair amount of smoke testing and put in various
safeguards and recovery mechanisms, so I'm fairly sure it will work as
expected. Here's hoping! Oh, and by the way, user reaction to Phase I
has been very positive so far. :)
- October 3, 2000
- Added a small "profile" icon to each artist line on the section
listings. Now people can pop up the profiles without opening each artist's
section. Should help people sort out where their attention should go...
- October 1, 2000
- Today I opened the new Fan-Art Archive (http://fanart.lionking.org), which I
think is feature-complete. :) Whether there are bugs in it remains
to be seen, but I think I got a pretty good test pass. Now, in the new
system, artists can have their own logins and profiles, change their names
and info, and so on; there are also new features, like viewing the last
n uploaded pictures, and a "Featured Artist of the Month". Now
let's see how many bugs the users find... :)
- September 24, 2000
- Added an entry on the Home Video page for the Exclusive Deluxe Video
Edition. (I found a copy on eBay!)
- September 22, 2000
- Got rid of the links to merchandise being sold at
www.movie-memorabilia.net on the Image Archive page, since that site seems
to have turned into a pile of miscellaneous links.
- September 20, 2000
- User feedback has switched us back to the ParaChat system once
again. Ah well-- I guess I can see which way the wind's blowing.
- September 19, 2000
- Trying out yet another chat system, since ParaChat/Xoom has been
giving everyone fits (although, notably, I haven't heard any comments one
way or t'other since we came back from UUnet limbo). The new one is from
liveuniverse.com, and it looks pretty snappy. Now to see what the users
- September 7, 2000
- Added about ten more MIDI files, thanks to Bagheera Temba.
- September 6, 2000
- The section of the FAQ devoted to injokes and references to TLK in
other movies and shows was getting way too big; I moved it out of the FAQ
into a new section, with its own icon, called "TLK Sightings". It's
interactive-- anyone can post a sighting. This should make maintaining the
list a no-brainer.
Ahh, it's good to be back...
- September 1, 2000
- Well, I could make this long, or I could make it brief. I'll make it
Lionking.org is back online after eight weeks of being locked in a closet
at UUnet Vancouver. The story behind why the machines were in a closet is
a fairly complex one, but the short short version is that UUnet decided to
overbill us rather drastically for our co-location service; when we
contested the charge, they impounded the machines and would not release
them even after we obtained a bailiff's order demanding that they do.
Once we raised the $20,000 necessary to pay off the bill, we were able to
extract the machines and have moved them to a new location with AT&T
(still in Vancouver). I am now in the process of setting up a
backup/mirror network so that this won't ever happen again. (Yes, yes, I
should have done this months ago-- no, years ago.)
At least now it's behind us. That's the real consolation, if there's
any to be had.
- July 4, 2000
- Migrated over to the new, redone Video Clips page (/movies). This now
has all the great high-quality MPEG and QuickTime movies grabbed by Paul
Summers, but also streaming QuickTime (way higher compression). It's also
now generated by a script, which may or may not be a useful idea. We'll
- June 28, 2000
- Added an image count to the Fan Artwork entry in the Image Archive
listing. The machine is fast enough that it hardly causes a delay.
Also, it appears that the crashing problem is now fixed. On a hunch, Paul
swapped out the NIC (which had caused one or two ghostly hardware watchdog
entries to show up in the log) for a new 3Com one. It's been up ever
since. Of course, my writing this will probably jinx it...
- May 24, 2000
- Upgraded to FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.
- May 23, 2000
- Okay... the past few days have been rather rocky. First, on Thursday
(5/18), the UUnet routers at the server's co-location node went haywire,
and it wasn't until Saturday morning that they were repaired. Then, on
Sunday morning (5/21), the server crashed and rebooted, and there was
nobody available onsite to boot it up again, so we had downtime until
today (Monday was a holiday in Canada). I'm now in the process of
upgrading the server's OS in hopes that it will help stabilize things and
prevent future outages. Sigh...
Anyway, I've now installed the new Image Archive menu page, which makes
we had before.
- May 12, 2000
- I copied over all the user files and as much of the system stuff as I
could this morning; the transfer was done by about 11AM. Now we wait for
all the name servers to sync up, so people don't have their mail strewn
across both servers...
- May 8, 2000
- The new server (yes, another upgrade) came online today. Now comes the
process of copying files and bringing the two machines into sync for the
passing of the baton. At least this time it isn't part of a desperate
- May 5, 2000
- Finally got rid of the defunct links to Music Boulevard from the
Lyrics and CD Tracks pages. Also, I added information to the Home
Video page about the DVD and VHS release of TLK in the upcoming "Platinum
- April 25, 2000
- Reorganized the site a little bit; now there's a "Sequels" section,
which now has the "Simba's Pride" section inside it, as well as a new
section on TLK3, which has just been announced. Be still my heart.
- March 30, 2000
- Added information on the VideoCD versions of TLK and SP to the Home
- March 29, 2000
- Added yet another Creeping Feature to the Fan-Art section: multiple
pages. Now, whenever an artist reaches the 100-image mark, their section
is split up into separate pages, one for each 100 images. This already
applies to about ten artists...
- March 23, 2000
- Added a user-rating system to the Fan-Art section. Now you can rate
any artist on a scale of 1 to 10 stars, and then sort the artist listings
based on their accumulated scores. Let's see what kind of response we get
- March 16, 2000
- Filled out the content for the new Home Video section.
- March 15, 2000
- Okay-- the new site overhaul is more or less complete. The headers and
footers are in place on all the main pages, the toolbar frame is gone, and
everything's working fairly smoothly. There are still a lot of minor pages
lurking about that I need to bring into line with the new style, but phase
one of the redesign is complete. :) Next I need to fill out the content
for the new Home Video section...
- February 18, 2000
- Added three new MPEG movies to the QuickTime Movies Archive; renamed
the section "Video Archive" in anticipation of the new site overhaul I'd
like to do now that I've got a super-cool G4 Mac to use. :)
- February 4, 2000
- Added image dimensions to the stats in the Image Archive.
- January 26, 2000
- Used style sheets to remove the underlines from the description links
in the Fan-Art Archive.
- January 25, 2000
- And once again, say it with me: Another Creeping Feature for the
Fan-Art Archive. I reorganized each of the table rows to include more info
toward the right-hand side, including the date/time the file was
- December 29, 1999
- Added yet more functionality to the Fan-Art Archive (anybody else
think that section is rapidly becoming the most significant part of the
website?): You can now sort on any of the columns: name, number of images,
or date last updated. I also now have a new uploading assistant script
that should make things much more comfortable.
- December 16, 1999
- Today I split up the Fan-Art Archive into alphabetical sections. I
guess I'd sort of meant to do it this way from the very beginning, back
when I split the first Fan-Art page into three sections (oh man, was that
messy). Now that there are almost 300 artists in the archive, it's become
- November 27, 1999
- Replaced the Microsoft-derived "Other Goodies" icon with an
open-source one. Also I removed the link to the Official TLK section on
the Disney site; it seems it's fallen through the cracks with yet
another reorganization of www.disney.com, and it's not worth chasing it
down (if it even still exists).
- October 17, 1999
- 2,000,000 hits today. Yayay!
- September 4, 1999
- Took the Forum offline today. Now to wait for the flames to roll
- August 24, 1999
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.9.
- August 20, 1999
- Not a lot of action lately, eh? Well, anyway, the lionking.org box has
now moved to its new home in Canada, near Vancouver. The move took about
seven hours, plane trip and all. It went pretty smoothly, all things
considered. Didn't stop me from getting flamed by irate forum addicts,
though. Anyway, the box is now at a UUnet co-location node; it's on a
15-minute UPS, which is backed up by a 4-hour UPS, which is backed up by a
2-month UPS, which is backed up by a generator in the basement. I think
we're cool for power now. :)
- All kinds of thanks to Paul Summers for helping provide this new
connectivity, and for making the move happen.
- June 2, 1999
- Added more pictures to the Clip Art section.
- April 25, 1999
- Altered the Movies Archive page slightly, so that now the thumbnails
- April 22, 1999
- Added image counts to the Image Archive main page; it's dynamically
updated, too. :)
- April 9, 1999
the Image Archive.
- March 30, 1999
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.6.
- March 19, 1999
- A few minutes downtime this morning as I moved the server back into
the Swamp lab for the duration of third term. Now if only the battle.net
frosh can keep from kicking it and unplugging it until I can set up
professional co-location service...
- March 16, 1999
- I did it... I finished my last exam today. I'm graduating. :)
Anyway, I did some more optimization today... rewrote the forum scripts
to use p5-ImageSize rather than identify (from ImageMagick). This speeds
up execution by a very good margin, and saves the server a lot of
- March 8, 1999
- Rewrote the members.cgi slightly so that it uses internal perl file
handle calls rather than `cat` and `ls` and `grep`. Amazing how much
faster it is...
- February 25, 1999
- Rebooted the system today to take care of a bad file descriptor. Sorry
- February 22, 1999
- Now the listing of fan-artists has thumbnails too. If you're viewing
the listing in hi-bandwidth mode, the script selects a random image from
that artist's directory and displays it next to their name. Cool, huh?
- February 19, 1999
- Extended the image-archive script so that it now encompasses the Fan
Art section as well. Now users can do the whole ZIPping business with the
Fan Art too. :)
- February 14, 1999
- Reorganized the Clip Art section into the new dynamic system. Also
I did something that I'd been experimenting with literally since Netscape
2.0 was released: the images in the Image Archive now open up in
browsers are now in enough preponderance that nobody should have cause
- February 4, 1999
- Cleaned out all the old images out of /images, now that they're all
filed under dynamic-generation directories. I also extended the new
dynamic generator thingy to the Characters section. Whee!
- January 30, 1999
- Did a massive reorganization of the Image Archive. It now generates
its tables of pictures dynamically, like the Fan-Art section (but with a
slightly different method). The table is also a lot prettier now. The
functionality won't be all that different for the user, but it makes it
almost infinitely easier for me to add and remove images now.
- January 23, 1999
- Finally gave the Fan Art Archive its long-awaited renovation. Now it's
all dynamically generated and organized by artist, each in his or her
separate directory, so there's no more of this big-huge-long-table garbage
to deal with. :)
- January 13, 1999
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.4.
- January 6, 1999
- Upgraded to the Ultimate BB version 5.10. Server load immediately
dropped from around 2 to about 0.1. Needless to say, life is good...
- January 5, 1999
- There's a new disk in lionking.org, a 9.1GB IBM one. Disk space is now
doubled. Ahh, growing pains...
- December 31, 1998
- I've set up a RealMedia G2 server on www.lionking.org; now users can
have streaming audio/video content.
I've also gone back to the old ParaChat for now, since the new one
generated about fifteen complaints within two hours. :P
- December 29, 1998
- ParaChat seems to have come under new management (XOOM.com), and their
mechanisms for supporting their chat services seem to have deteriorated.
So I regenerated the chat stuff and things seem to be a bit better. We'll
- December 1, 1998
- Upgraded to FreeBSD 2.2.8. I anticipate that this will be an interim
platform, since 3.0.1 will be released in January and that code branch
will become tagged as -STABLE. I'll switch to 3.0.1 then, since it
supports such things as long usernames.
- November 20, 1998
- Added little mouse-over effects to the pics in the Characters
- November 11, 1998
- There was a network outage today in my section of Blacker; after the
server was unreachable for about four hours, I moved lionking.org into a
nearby lab. The next day, the outage was corrected and I moved the server
- November 7, 1998
- Downtime for about 20 minutes, around 4AM. Heck if I can figure out
what went wrong...
- November 6, 1998
- Rotated out the last Rumor Mill, and redirected it to the new
- November 4, 1998
- Time for a massive overhaul of the Image Archive-- the Fan Art has
just been pouring in lately, and it all seems to come from people with
names between G and P. :P So I split the second section in half. I also
removed all old art that was copied from original Disney material.
- November 2, 1998
- I guess we're now immersed in the long process of integrating SP stuff
into the rest of the site. So I've redone the Links section a bit, adding
an "SP Sites" category to it; I guess next I have to add a SP section to
the Image and Sound Archives. :P Blah...
- November 1, 1998
- Replaced the link to the Rumor Mill with the "TLK Discussion Forum",
which is a message system based on the Ultimate BB package. I'll be
redirecting the Rumor Mill permanently on Friday.
- October 31, 1998
- Added the Simba's Pride script to the Scripts section, after
much helpful consultation from Marcus Aanerud.
- October 27, 1998
- Simba's Pride has been released!
And completely unrelated to that fact is that I've replaced the static
members.html page with members.cgi, a script which generates the list of
links to member pages dynamically.
- October 23, 1998
- Redid the TLKoB link icon. Oh, by the way, I did it in GIMP. I am now
100% Microsoft-free, even on the desktop. :)
- October 9, 1998
- A few minutes of downtime tonight. I accidentally rebooted the server
while trying to reboot my desktop machine. :P Oh, and I also upgraded
- October 7, 1998
- Added the server local time to the main page.
- September 23, 1998
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.2.
- September 21, 1998
- Revamped the old Guest Book pages the same way as I did the Rumor Mill
on the 14th. Also added SP and TLKoB icons to the toolbar.
- September 19, 1998
- Finished adding the lyrics and track information from the "Return to
Pride Rock" CD. Genuinely disappointing.
- September 17, 1998
- Finally! I've been meaning to do something like this for years: I
changed the image in the universal footer to something more appropriate
(an animated GIF of a cheetah running). I was just waiting till I found
just the right thing... :)
- September 14, 1998
- Reorganized all the old Rumor Mill pages into their own directory.
Maybe I should do the same with the Guest Book stuff...
- Sept. 4, 1998
- Another red-letter day! This morning at about 1AM, Aaron
McGavock became visitor number 1,000,000 to www.lionking.org. This is
something I've been waiting for for almost four years... it's been a fun
trip, guys. Thanks. :)
- September 3, 1998
- Another random reboot, at 11:24AM. Still no indication why this may
have happened. The best guess I have at this point is that someone reached
under and hit the power button. And I had perfect uptime for the summer,
- August 20, 1998
- Not too many major changes happening these days. I've been adding
incremental info to the Simba's Pride section as it comes in;
each new preview has another QuickTime, another MPEG, and another set of
images to show off. :)
- July 22, 1998
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.1.
- July 18, 1998
- The machine rebooted for some reason this morning at 4:00AM. It was
down until I woke up at 11 and phoned someone to fsck it. My theory is
that someone reached under the table and hit the Reset button. What
- July 13, 1998
- I'm going to start including fan-artists' e-mail addresses from now on
in the Image Archive. I can't find many of them from previous posts,
but starting now...
- July 12, 1998
- Well, the new server is in place, and doing just fine... now I can
finally get down to treating life as normal again. :) The server was down
intermittently several times on Saturday night as I rebooted and swapped
machines. Thanks, everyone, for bearing with me.
- July 4, 1998
- Added a link to Rob Visser's screen saver.
- June 30, 1998
- Just an update on the disk madness. I've currently got a new server
ready to replace www.lionking.org; it's got the 9.1GB Cheetah disk and a
P-200/MMX, not to mention FreeBSD 2.2.6. On July 11, I will fly down
to Caltech and switch the machines. Until then, let's just hope those
disks hold together...
- June 12, 1998
- Ahh, nice restful Friday morning after finals are over. Right? Nope...
this was the day of frantic knees-bent running about advancing behavior.
Much disk swapping, gnashing of teeth, sprinting around campus between the
mail room and my own room and the Blacker PC lab, and howls of despair.
Just for future reference to look back on later.
The upshot, if any, is that lionking.org is running on the possibly flaky
5GB IDE disk on /home for the time being, at least until I can get back
down to campus to install the new Cheetah.
- June 5, 1998
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3.0.
- June 3, 1998
- Revamped the MIDI files section. It needed it. Badly. Also fixed up
the linkages within the Sound Files section, and renamed it the "Sound and
- June 2, 1998
- Changed the Boycott page to a Protest page, and put the Anti-MS button
on the main page as a link to it. Maybe this will induce fewer flames.
- June 1, 1998
- Revamped the ex-MP3 section. Now it's a page of CD track information,
with links to the lyrics of all the songs. That's about all the data I can
possibly put online without doing actual recordings.
- May 30, 1998
- Flushed the Rumor Mill again. Yikes-- it was up to over 400K.
- May 27, 1998
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3b7.
- May 13, 1998
- Another hour of downtime tonight. Another disk blew-- this time the
brand-new 5GB one. I can't believe this...
- May 9, 1998
- Got the second half of the scripts written. Now it's a simple process
for me to insert a piece of fan-art. Sweet. :)
- May 6, 1998
- Added an auto-upload section so people can submit fan-art without
having to do e-mail. Ideally, the upload will be automatic, and then
after I check the file it'll be a one-step install process to insert the
new pic into the fan-art gallery. So the first half's done now. :)
- May 4, 1998
- I was given notice by the RIAA that the MP3 files on the site are
illegal and likely to get me sued to the tune of a million dollars or so;
I'm not willing to gamble on how serious they are, so I've removed them.
It was fun while it lasted.
- April 27, 1998
- Added a Simba's Pride section, in parallel with the one for the
Broadway Musical. I'll continuously update this new section with new
images and movies and things as they become available, along with whatever
info rolls across the Rumor Mill.
- April 21, 1998
- Added a bunch of animated GIFs, courtesy of Beerit. Thanks! Also
upgraded to Apache/1.3b6.
- April 12, 1998
- Added a note to the Movies page saying to ignore GetRight's rude
little message about how this site doesn't support resuming. It does.
Also I removed the Microsoft boycott. Not because anything has happened
to change my mind; I'm just getting sick of people flaming me. I do
respond personally and meticulously to every flame I get, and that's
- March 25, 1998
- Updated the FAQ with info about awards TLK has won.
- March 13, 1998
- Added a link to David Perrin's "Hakuna Matata" screen saver, since
everybody in the world seems to want a screen saver...
- March 1, 1998
- Applied several patches to Apache, to fix some mod_rewrite issues.
- February 19, 1998
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3b5.
- February 16, 1998
- The new 5GB disk is installed, replacing the old 2GB drive on /home.
This should solve the problems we've been having.
- February 12, 1998
- Another service outage this morning. The disk on /home is failing
rapidly; I'll be buying a new disk to replace it this weekend.
- February 4, 1998
- The system was down for about four hours this morning due to a bad
- January 26, 1998
- Added four new postcards, courtesy of Brenden T.
- January 11, 1998
- Relinked the "News" icon. Now it goes directly to the Rumor Mill page,
which then has a link to the News page itself. Since the Rumor Mill is so
much more active and popular, this should make more sense... :)
- January 8, 1998
- Whew... it's been a while since the last update, but this one's a
doozy. I added MP3s and lyrics of the TLK Original Broadway Cast Recording
to their respective sections; this should be helpful to people.
I've been getting a lot of heat for the Microsoft boycott; I don't plan to
take it down as of yet, but I may have to before long. I don't like
- December 17, 1997
- I've instituted a boycott of Microsoft. To do this, I've set up a page
so that anyone using MSIE between the hours of 2:00 and 3:00 will get the
boycott page instead of whatever they were trying to access on the server
(aside from user directories and postcards). SOMEthing has to be
- December 4, 1997
- Changed the browser plug button on the main page-- now it's
advertising Opera rather than Netscape. Let's hope it makes a
- November 30, 1997
- Added a "Concordance to TLK" section, thanks to Thomas Sweet's
efforts; it's linked from the "Other Goodies" section. I also updated the
look of that section a bit.
- November 24, 1997
- Set up a new Java chat (ParaChat). This looks to be a lot faster than
the ChatPlanet one. Here's hoping...
- November 22, 1997
- Okay... I've been converted. My browser of choice is now Opera. Today
and yesterday I've been fixing little things here and there that were
inconsistent between Opera and the other browsers.
- November 14, 1997
- Changed the look of the Image Archive page a little bit.
- November 9, 1997
- This was fun. I found the server was suddenly not responding; I opened
a fresh telnet and was greeted by "Linux 2.0.31; agrajag login:". Needless
to say, I was somewhat disappointed by this. I found (in the next twelve
seconds or so) that our network administrator had typoed and assigned
lionking.org's IP address to another machine on the same network, so all
my traffic was going over there. Bad! So I sprinted in bare feet over to
Steele lab and got her to fix it. Downtime was about eight minutes.
- November 8, 1997
- Added some RealAudio versions of the sound files on the Musical page,
plus a RealVideo clip of the "Circle of Life" sequence, courtesy of Paul
Summers. Truly breathtaking!
- November 5, 1997
- Wrote up a "Server Policy" page, describing my philosophy on web
server software development and why I'm running lionking.org the way I'm
running it. Hopefully it will answer some people's questions.
- October 31, 1997
- Added another random number to the postcard format, to get rid of the
problem that happens when two people happen to send postcards in the same
- October 30, 1997
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3b2 mod_perl/1.04, which is a major improvement
over earlier versions of mod_perl-- now the whole server-side complement
of perl modules are up and running. :) Yaay! I also switched DNS
servers to the faster of the two on campus-- I don't know why I had it
on the slower (backup) one. :)
- October 23, 1997
- Added the Timon & Pumbaa themes from Mark Trepanier's page, since his
site will be going down soon.
- October 20, 1997
- Added a checksum to the postcard file naming scheme; this is to keep
people from accidentally getting other people's cards through a
- October 18, 1997
- Upgraded to Apache/1.3b2 mod_perl/1.02. And what a hideous upgrade it
was! Cool, though. :)
- October 11, 1997
- Made a minor change to the "Pic of the Day" page... I gave it a black
background. This is to minimize contrast on the dark pictures, so you
aren't fighting to see the picture's dark contents against light-colored
- October 3, 1997
- The hits have almost completely been diverted over to the new server
by now (a week later). Things are running really smoothly! There are lots
of little kernel tweaks in place for high performance, and I also just
added a random TLK quote generator for the main page. Hee hee... :) Oh
yeah, and I automated the "Pic of the Random Time Period" thing... now
it randomly picks any image out of the Archive (excluding the fan-art)
and displays its vital statistics, all automatically generated, in a
new file each night. So now it's the "Pic of the Day". :)
- September 27, 1997
- I'm back at Caltech!
At about 12:45 this morning, I made the DNS change to begin diverting
traffic from the www.pacific.net server down here to the new server. The DNS
record update process is taking a while, so now we just lay back and wait...
(Later) I gave the icons on the main page a little facelift-- some nifty
beveled edges. :)
- September 16, 1997
- Did a major reorganization of the Image Archive; I split the Fan Art
section into three separate pages, each with about 40 entries. I also
renumbered them all for the ZIP function, and renamed a whole bunch of
files that didn't have the artist's name attached. I only made this
change on the new site; just two more weeks till it's live!
Oh, and I also (finally) reorganized the "Other TLK Sites" page,
after leaving it unchanged in its format basically since the beginning of
- September 10, 1997
- Added a little instructional page with code for adding the linking
new.lionking.org is just about ready to go! We've got user pages and a
help system (help.lionking.org), and majordomo is set up to host the
TLK-L mailing list. Progress... :)
- September 1, 1997
- Added three new MPEG-3 files, and a button for people to use in links
to the Archive. Also added a new disk to the new machine
(new.lionking.org); it now has 4GB of space, half of which is for user
directories and website hosting.
- August 27, 1997
- The new server, currently located at lionking.arclight.net,
self-booted for the first time at 3:47AM this morning. FreeBSD is
successfully installed on it; it is ready to begin its beta-testing phase.
- August 25, 1997
- The new www.lionking.org box is on its way... all the components are
bought, but the motherboard is bad, so it'll have to wait a day while I
say "Very funny" to the Fry's employees. It'll have FreeBSD running on it
if I can get it to install happily.
In other news, I've added some animated GIFs to the Image Archive,
courtesy of Myra Weber.
- August 24, 1997
- More movie mayhem. Rainier finally is back up and running, so I've
sent requests for them back over to Rainier for the time being. As soon
as the summer is over, the new www.lionking.org will be able to host all
the files-- all 350MB of them-- on one box permanently. Woo-hoo!
Currently the new machine consists of a box, a P-133, a SCSI controller,
and a 2-GB hard drive; all that's left is a motherboard, a network card,
and some RAM.
- August 20, 1997
- Various maintenance stuff. I changed the look of the footer for those
pages that have counters; the counters are now displayed in little
white-background tables. This helps to get rid of the proliferation of
<HR>'s I had all over the place. I've also moved the QuickTime
movies back onto www.lionking.org itself, and facelifted the Movies
Archive page a little bit more. Marcus Aanerud has been helping me
eradicate the "JWS" movies, and his tireless work has greatly improved
- August 17, 1997
- A few minor (but noticeable) facial features have been changed. I
started using Verdana as the toolbar font, because it's a nice
understated little typeface that looks cool there. Also changed a few
fonts here and there in other pages.
- August 12, 1997
- Added a review of the TLK Musical, by Andy Heroff.
- August 9, 1997
- Finally coaxed MSIE into being able to manage the table format on the
Movies Archive page. Sheesh...
- August 4, 1997
- Made the QuickTime Movies Archive look more cool, with black table
borders á la CNN's Video Vault. MSIE can't grok it, but that's
hard not to imagine.
- August 2, 1997
- Used mod_rewrite to restrict people linking to my images from
off-site. This should help a GREAT deal. :)
- July 30, 1997
- Designed and set up a logo for the Archive, and put it at the top of
every page. It's about time I did something like that! It'll probably
change a bit as time goes by...
- July 31, 1997
- Used absolute references in the postcards; now people can save them
and they'll still work (provided I don't move any of the images... mwa ha
- July 29, 1997
- Added a section for the Broadway Musical.
- July 27, 1997
- Fixed up the Image Archive; now it's an index.cgi which calls the
appropriate image indexes as they are requested. This works around that
problem in form redirection that lynx and MSIE 4.0b2 both complain about
(admittedly, rightly so). Besides, now all the user sees is
"/imgarchive/"... so much for the people linking to things like
"misc-t.html" and so on. Or so I hope. :)
- July 24, 1997
- Upgraded to Apache 1.3a1, and added 14 new sound files from
Christopher Capps. Also took advantage of the new RedirectMatch directive
in Apache to transparently send .mov requests over to Rainier, where the
QuickTimes are living for the summer.
- July 23, 1997
- Added the lyrics to the Rhythm of the Pride Lands songs to the
- July 21, 1997
- Man oh man... I returned from San Diego ComiCon to find that my
postcard system had self-detructed. I spent about ten hours rebuilding it
from partially backed-up files and emacs auto-save sessions; I still have
to put the sounds back in, but that's for tomorrow. I need sleep...
(The following day) I set the XBitHack on, so now the parsed files can be
cached. This will probably be a Good Thing, since the included SSI
data doesn't change a lot, certainly not more than once per session.
- July 14, 1997
- Added descriptions to each of the movie files.
- July 12, 1997
- Finally got some thumbnails and run-times listed in the Movie Files
- July 11, 1997
functions into the site. :)
Also I rewrote the "Welcome" page to be a little more cosmopolitan and
helpful... or something. :)
- July 9, 1997
- Moved all the QuickTime movies to daniel.snowmeow.com, a temporary
site until I am able to set up an independent server so I can stop hogging
Pacific Internet's resources. By October, www.lionking.org should be
running on a P6/166 dedicated server on a multiple T3; there will be some
bandwidth limitations until then as I transfer the larger multimedia
sections. Please bear with me! It'll be worth it! :)
- July 6, 1997
- Upgraded to Apache 1.2.1.
- June 18, 1997
- Reorganized the Fan Art archive. I consolidated each bunch of images
to its artist, and alphabetized the artists.
- June 16, 1997
- Added a "notification of delivery" thing to the Postcards; now when
the recipient views the card, it sends email to the sender to say so.
- June 11, 1997
- Replaced that stupid little fader applet ("Welcome to...") with an
animated GIF. Now the site loads a lot faster and isn't dependent on
Also, now that Apache 1.2 allows it, I opened an "includes" directory and
put the included modules in there.
- June 9, 1997
- Did some tweaking with the no-frames page. The toolbar looked a
little silly, so I gave it a facelift so it looks like the frames page
now (for people with good browsers).
Also I went through the Sound Files Archive and reorganized it, like I've
been meaning to do for a long time now-- I cleaned up the table grouping
in the WAV/RA section, and split the whole Sounds Archive into
subsections like the Image Archive has.
- June 6, 1997
- Reformatted Phil Pollard's Trivia list, giving it a frames interface,
and added it to the Other Goodies list.
- June 5, 1997
- Upgraded to Apache 1.2.0 final.
- June 3, 1997
- Ah, growing pains. We moved all of Pacific Internet's virtual web
servers from the 199.4.80 cloud to 199.4.96.* to make room for more;
unfortunately, not all the nameservers in the world updated that very
quickly, so while some people could access it again immediately, lots of
people got a "Server down or not responding" message. Sorry, folks... one
day should be the longest possible wait to expect.
Also I added color-coding to the Lyrics Archive.
- May 29, 1997
- I knew this would happen. :) Apache 1.2b11 was released today, so I
installed that. 1.2 final is scheduled for release on June 5.
- May 28, 1997
- I decided to finally upgrade to Apache 1.2b10, since that fully
enables the download-resuing feature that GetRight allows, and since I'm
providing links to GetRight for things like the MP3 and movie files, I
figured it would be a good idea.
- May 26, 1997
- More spring cleaning. I moved some rather redundant files (guest.html,
rumor.html, and the like) to subroutines in the cgi-bin, and got rid of a
few useless old files. The process for streamlining and modularity
- May 22, 1997
- Changed the little pic of Timon on the main page to one I drew. At
least it's a little more dynamic than the earlier one... and less blocky.
- May 21, 1997
- Changed the TLK Cast picture on the main page to a transparent GIF...
maybe it'll help break up the blocky look.
- May 9, 1997
- Did a little more dusting of cobwebs; I pulled a few more of the
files onto the main server and got rid of some external links. Also
reorganized the Other Goodies hierarchy.
- May 8, 1997
- Now that I can use table background images, I did. Stuck one in the
main page title block thingy.
Also added the site to the TLK Web Ring.
- May 6, 1997
- Okay-- yet another cleanup job has been hurdled. I moved all off-site
links out of the toolbar, which should make it much easier to deal with.
There is a new section called "TLK Interactive," which has links to all
kinds of ways for fans to meet each other; also the Hans Zimmer Worship
Page and the TLK game have been moved to the "Other Goodies" page.
Also I re-recorded all the MPEG3 files; they should be much higher
- May 3, 1997
- Okay-- this has got to bring closure in some way to something. I
finally went through and cleaned up all the links to files on Rainier,
and moved the Story images and all the Image Archive icons over to the
main server-- now the whole thing is served from a central
location, and the next time Rainier goes down, I'm fine!
- April 28, 1997
- Against my better judgment, I added a Java chat system from
ChatPlanet. I paid the $49.95 for the private channel, to keep the
weirdos from linking in from other channels. Hopefully this won't
backfire on me...
- April 26, 1997
- Added ZIPped collections per character of the sound files.
- April 25, 1997
- Fixed the little form button things... now it's a bit more logical:
the two buttons choose the two modes you're not currently in (out of
frames, no-frames, and text-only). Is this thing approaching completion
- April 22, 1997
- Added a major component to the Image Archive: batch downloading via
ZIP. Now you can select any of the files you want, hit a button, and it
zips them all up for you and downloads the zipfile. I added it to all the
archive sections (an arduous process!); it should help usability, or
- April 13, 1997
- One last (hah!) tweak to the error messages: Now, if you get a 404
error from a directly typed address (i.e., you just typoed), it gives an
actual 404 screen; however, if you are following a stale link (there are
a lot of them), it will print a clone of the main page and set up up like
you're at the beginning. Should be interesting...
- April 8, 1997
- Worked some more on the modular design of the site; now that the
different formats of the main page are standardized, I am able to write
certain blocks of HTML as single shared modules, like classes in C++, that
can be used by each of the different main pages. If I make a change to any
one module, all the formats using it get changed automatically. Neat, huh?
:) There are modules for the main page window and for the toolbar, as well
as for the footer CGI which prints a custom footer link depending on the
mode you're in.
- April 5, 1997
- Added sounds to the Postcards.
- April 3, 1997
- Finally got around to fixing up the Scripts. Now the HTML script is
updated to reflect the real WAV files, and I can get rid of those gross
old AU files. I also cleaned up all the headers and got rid of all that
stuff that nobody really wants to read. While I was at it, I redid the
Word version and brought it up to date (finally).
- April 1, 1997
- Did a major CGI upgrade-- now the whole "Disable Frames" thing is
finally fully functional! By this I mean that the footer is now sensitive
to the mode you're in, and will direct you back to the correct referring
page depending on whether you're using frames or not.
- March 27, 1997
- Reorganized a bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff: set up a /cgi-bin
(finally), and wrote 404 and 403 pages with cutesy clip-art images. :)
Now to find a good excuse to make the 403 one come up! ;)
- March 25, 1997
- Added four new postcards.
- March 16, 1997
- Majorly reorganized the Sound Files Archive. I spent a couple of days
re-recording the MP3 files from the soundtrack CD and recording new ones
from ROTPL; I've sacrificed stereo for audio clarity, and I think the
result is a good thing. Comments?
- March 11, 1997
- Now why didn't I ever do this before? I finally added a Lyrics
Archive, with all the lyrics to the movie songs and the Elton John
versions, with links to audio files of the songs.
- March 5, 1997
- Fixed up the Characters pages; put them in their own directory. Just
doing a bit of spring cleaning. :) Also I redid the Image Archive main
page; now it has a forms-based interface which should simplify the
process of choosing High or Low Bandwith versions of the archive pages.
- Feb. 25, 1997
- Added multiple font support to the Postcards program, and fine-tuned
some of the error handling.
- Feb. 13, 1997
- With the help of Marcus Aanerud (Raccoon Prince), I was able finally
to upgrade those Clip Art images by Photoshopping the same images output
at a much higher resolution. They all look infinitely better now! Thanks,
- Feb. 2, 1997
- At last! There's been a seriously large upgrade to the Sound Archive,
thanks to a valiant effort put forth by Tom Rodriguez-- just another
reason for me to be forever indebted to him. ;) Now the old gritty .au
files are replaced with high-quality .wav and RealAudio formats; now one
of the rather weak points of the site has been vastly strengthened. Enjoy!
- Jan. 10, 1997
- The Archive's 2-year anniversary! Today I added two new things to the
Goodies page: links to Lion King Merchandise and to the newly created TLK
- Dec. 23, 1996
- Reorganized the Scripts page (who the heck uses a non-HTML-3.0
browser these days?), and made the FAQ a bit more faqtual.
- Dec. 5, 1996
- Added in the index of Clip Art images from the Lion King Print
Studio. I wonder why I never did this before?
- Dec. 2, 1996
- I fixed sendmail on pacific.net, so now I can post my e-mail address
as firstname.lastname@example.org. So I did.
- Nov. 25, 1996
- Yaay! It is finally accomplished: I went ahead and expended the
minimal effort needed to move the Text Files archive into its own
directory, and so now there are four Archives with four distinct
directories that can be addressed: images, sounds, text, and movies.
- Nov. 19, 1996
- Okay, okay, I give... I have finally gone ahead and changed the guest
book to add to the top. :) Ahhhh... this is nicer....
- Nov. 8, 1996
- Responding to a user's suggestion, I added a new section: TLK Postcards. As at many of the movie/comic/whatever
sites out on the net, you can pick an image, write a message, and send it
to anyone who has email!
- Nov. 6, 1996
- Updated the News page to reflect the new info about the upcoming TLK
Musical. Also made some cosmetic changes to others.shtml.
- Oct. 28, 1996
- Added three TLK Win95 desktop themes; they're in the Goodies page and
the Image Archive.
- Oct. 2, 1996
- Shrunk down the "Featured in" images; they don't need to be as big as
they were before.
- Sept. 16, 1996
- Finally I got rid of tlk-index.shtml and all references to it. Yaay!
I moved the few non-redundant links on it to a new file, goodies.html, and put that in in place of
tlk-index; I also moved the Welcome message to a new location, in the Java
banner. Finally all traces of the original layout of the Archive are
- Sept. 12, 1996
- Reorganized the Sounds and Movies archives a little bit-- gave each
one its own directory with an index page, so I'm still minimizing the
number of .shtml extensions the user has to see. Also I've got a bunch of
new studio-track recordings to add to the archive. :)
- Sept. 10, 1996
- A red-letter day! :) I've got www.lionking.org up and configured, and
I've server-pushed the old site to the new one. Since it's a totally
different machine, there may be some bugs to work out, but on the surface
it seems to be running smoothly. So, let's cross our paws...
- August 26, 1996
- Hmm... looks like the Internet Movie Database got themselves a domain
name, and forgot to warn me. :) Ah well... the links are updated and
- August 20, 1996
- Flushed the guest book. Now pondering whether to change it to add to
the top, like every other guest book in the known Universe...
- August 12, 1996
- I finally got off my duff and redid the non-frames page completely,
arranging it so it is as much like the frames page as possible and has all
the same elements available to it. Considering that at this point not only
does 40% of the net still use non-frames browsers, there is a constituency
who does not like frames at all; this should make them happy. :)
- July 22, 1996
- Added some TLK icons for the Mac, created by GilDGreat@aol.com. My
Mac HD now has Mufasa's Ghost as an icon. :)
- June 12, 1996
- Finally I reorganized the Text Files Archive from the format in which
I'd stubbornly first envisioned it, making the Fan Fiction the most
prominent part. I also rewrote the header, and removed the blocks to
certain files I'd put in because of the CDA, which is now (we are to
assume) history. :)
- June 9, 1996
- I changed the Image Archive's look a little bit by taking advantage
of Netscape 3.0's table BGCOLOR tag; I made the text field backgrounds a
solid color so they read better.
- May 30, 1996
- UGCS updated its web server to Apache 1.0.5, and set it to roam free
on the 15 new SGIs. This meant I had to rework a couple of perl scripts,
but now it's running a LOT faster and better.
- May 28, 1996
- I'm currently in the middle of salvaging my movie files archive. The
two servers I was linking to for the files decided to go down more or
less simultaneously, so I was left without any movie files. Fortunately,
thanks to several kind-hearted individuals who helped out by mailing me
some movies and pointing me to other archives where they had been
downloaded, I'm now back up and running, more or less. I've gotten all
the original Disney movie files back, which were really the meat of the
archive, being nice high-quality files. A profuse thank-you to those who
helped out! =)
- May 5, 1996
- Changed the look of the main page around a little bit-- just some
refinement and cleanup, to try to get the organization a little
better-looking. There's a little Java text-fader in the header now for
those who can view it, and the "Enhanced for Netscape" banner is gone
from the page now-- if you can see the frames, you're using
Netscape already. :)
- April 24, 1996
- Fixed the MIDI files. I put them on rainier, where a .htaccess makes
sure the server is sending them as downloadable files, not text/plain.
That way I can list them on the Sound Files page without zipping them.
- April 22, 1996
- Reorganized access to the TLK video game by putting both the PC and
SNES/Genesis versions on links from the icon toolbar. Now there's only
one thing that isn't directly accessible from the toolbar-- the MAD parody.
- April 15, 1996
- Made a few minor adjustments; I put in a push from /lionking/ to
/lionking/tlk.shtml, because that will compensate for the server's
strange habit of reloading the top page whenever you return to this site
from another. Also I added background music.
- April 5, 1996
- Nothing drastic has really gone on in about a month; this is just a
marker to point out that I've just been fine-tuning things lately: a font
size here, a wording there. I'm still alive...
- March 8, 1996
- Bobby Peck HTMLized the TLK FAQ and mailed it to me. It makes me wonder
how long ago I should have done it myself... but nevertheless, thank-yous
- Feb. 29, 1996
- Having noticed that Brian hadn't installed a search engine for the
Archive, I decided to set one up as a Leap Day gift for him. I found and
hacked a search script, installed and customized it, and (only then) told
him about it. Reaction: suitably satisfying. You can now search for a word or phrase and have it
pop up in a nice, concise list.
- Feb. 28, 1996
too taxing on many users' system resources. Accordingly, I found and hacked
a new script that takes parameters from form input and allows for
start/stop of the text updating. So now there's a pause button for the
- Feb. 23, 1996
- Added a News section and a page with info on Simba's Pride and
the "Timon and Pumbaa" TV series. This is based on info from the
ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Opportunities Expo in Universal City, CA, which I
attended and at which I saw a panel of Simba's Pride concept art and
- Feb. 21, 1996
- Well, the footer frame thing was a bad idea, according to the feedback.
Ah well... that's what feedback is for. :)
- Feb. 20, 1996
- Redid all the footers; now there is a static banner with the SFEP logo
and copyright info at the bottom, and each individual page has a redesigned
dual-logo footer and no SFEP block. This might make things a little lacking
for pre-2.0 users, but it's not horrible.
- Feb. 18, 1996
- Added another bunch of images, courtesy of Rob from Jan. 20th. And the
page is back to its normal format and color.
- Feb. 9, 1996
- The Archive's main page has been black for one day now, in protest of
the Communications Decency Act. It will return to normal in one more day.
2.0, acting as a news update banner. So something good came of the passage
of the bill, I guess.
I also just finished fixing up the scripts which write out the incoming
browser types and remote hosts, and it's now available from the main page.
- Jan. 20, 1996
- Added a bunch more images (about 15), spread through the various
Acts. Mostly shots of Simba and Nala, these are LD grabs Photoshopped by
- Jan. 10, 1996
- Added links to all the actors' pages on the Internet Movie Database from the
various Character pages.
Ooh, the Archive is one year old!
- Jan. 7, 1996
- I took out all the numbers on the images. They were kinda pointless,
and now only make it more difficult to add more images. But with them gone,
I can throw in as many as I want relatively quickly. :)
- Jan. 5, 1996
- Well, Rainier,
Blacker's new linux box, is up, and so is my account on it. So, naturally,
I threw thumbnail icons of the entire image archive onto it and redesigned
the archive yet again. This should prove useful. :) Enjoy!
- Jan. 3, 1996
- In an inexplicable fit of activity today, I renovated the page entirely
for Netscape 2.0, reformatting the entire Archive's layout so people with a
frames-capable browser would have much greater ease of use, while those who
haven't tried them yet won't notice anything different at all. Now the
2.0-enhanced Archive has a vertical icon-based toolbar along the left,
allowing the user to jump to any page from any other, as well as providing
much greater visibility for a lot of the less prominent or popular parts of
the Archive. Have fun!
- Dec. 23, 1995
- Added links to Chris Heiden's image and sound archives, both of which
are definitely worth having. The sound archive is full of good recordings
of the songs, and the image archive is a graphical mirror of the FTP site
at demon.co.uk, and gives that resource a whole new level of
- Dec. 2, 1995
- I suddenly decided, for some reason, to add character profiles to the
Archive. So I scanned in the Skybox character cards and typed in the text
from them, and then added a by-character index of the images, plus info on
voicing and animation for each one. Enjoy!
- Nov. 26, 1995
- Changed tlk-index.shtml by putting all the Archives in a table
format. This way, I could incorporate the QT Movies in a more flattering
manner-- putting them on a level with the other three Archives. :)
- Nov. 22, 1995
- Updated the Scripts page, organizing the four available versions into
positions with clearly equivalent status and appropriate icons. Finally
that page looks better.
- Nov. 14, 1995
- The scripts were updated today, owing to the fact that Lebo M. sent me
a transcription/translation of the opening lyrics to "Circle of Life." I
incorporated them into all versions of the script. ...And there was much
rejoicing. (Yaaaay.) =)
- Nov. 8, 1995
- A user's suggestion prompted me to split up the Image Archive into
several sub-pages out of kindness to people loading the page from a modem
connection. I agree, the tabling is kinda slow... so this should help
things out a bit.
- Nov. 6, 1995
- Image O' the Time Period changed.
- Oct. 30, 1995
- I fixed up the Guest Book a little. Namely, I cut out the old entries
up until a few days ago and put them in their own HTML file. This is
really going to help matters, considering how large the book is by now.
Thanks to Dr. Joseph Creighton for the idea. :)
- Oct. 19, 1995
- My server does cool things, I just found out. =) I can just tell it
"imgarchive" and it will go ahead and serve up imgarchive.shtml. It doesn't
need an extension. So I went nuts and changed all the links so they point
to the extensionless filenames. This makes things look more organized, or
at least I like to think so...
- Oct. 17, 1995
- For all of you who wondered what was up with the Image O' The Random
Time Period, the truth is that nobody remembered to change it. It finally
has been changed, and a notation has been added to the Image Archive page
showing the date of last change, so you don't have to keep clicking on the
link to see if it's changed yet.
- Oct. 15, 1995
- Okay, I'm a fool. I managed to make a symlink to index.shtml, and then
tried to replace the symlink filename by copying another file to it. Of
course, this replaced index.shtml with the new file. Clever. :(
So I rewrote index.html from memory. Ah well... this prodded me to redesign
the layout slightly, to try to break up the everything-centered look. I
think it looks a bit better now.
- Oct. 5, 1995
- Made a few minor changes: Revised the Copyright page to make it
clearer (not to mention clarifying that my HTML is not up for random
public-domain thievery, as some people seem to think it is), changed the
look of the Fan Fiction section on the Text Files Archive, and... er...
something else I can't quite remember. :)
- Sept. 29, 1995
- I changed the headers of the various Archive pages to be more uniform,
and changed the look of the tlk-index.shtml page slightly (now the TLK
Cast inline is aligned to the left instead of being centered).
- Sept. 28, 1995
- I rescanned many of the "G" rated images, this time using a different
resolution path. This eliminated most of the moiré banding that was
a problem before, as well as dramatically cutting down on the file sizes.
- Sept. 24, 1995
- I added WIDTH and HEIGHT tags to several image-intensive pages. Now
since the image dimensions are hard-wired into the HTML code, the text can
load first while the images show up later, finishing the layout a lot
sooner. This should help people on slow connections.
- Sept. 16, 1995
- Well, Walt Disney
Pictures has at last gotten itself a nicely organized, attractive,
efficient web site-- I looked into it for info on the Timon & Pumbaa TV
series and found four nice new JPEGs from the movie. I added them to the
Archive: they're #s 85, 91, and 109. (The fourth was one I already had.)
Also, I added intrapage Contents lists to the various Archive pages, thanks
to a suggestion from Jason Knight.
- Sept. 10, 1995
- I (Jennifer) telnetted over to ugcs and updated all of the pages by
revising the SuperFroopy ElectroProducts footer. You can now link to the
SFEP home page by clicking on the company name. I also (finally) updated
the Image O' The Random Time Period, after no one remembered to for three
- Sept. 9, 1995
- I found the Walt Disney Records home page and linked to their TLK
soundtrack page, which is very cool. I also linked to an ftp source for
the TLK PC game (the demo version :).
- Sept. 1, 1995
- I added several images from Tomás Rodriguez' collection of
pencil art, hoping he gets a scanner so I can grab more. This called
attention to a misname on one of my own images-- Father.jpg has been
renamed to SlowDown.jpg.
In addition, Jennifer changed the Feedback Form so that its background
matches the one on the rest of the pages, so not to be outdone I took her
"SuperFroopy ElectroProducts, Ltd." logo and footer and installed it on
all the rest of the pages. =)
- August 27, 1995
- I replaced the old .au player on the Sounds Archive (wplny.zip) with
WHAM (Waveform Hold And Modify), which should be an improvement-- it can
save in .wav format so Windows users can handle the files.
- August 26, 1995
- With the help of Spaz, I finally realized
why the hit-counter I'd installed was not working. I added the counter to
about seven pages and changed the names of those files to *.shtml, an
extension which the UGCS server recognizes as one for which it allows
server-side includes. This should present no problems (I hope).
- August 18, 1995
- I created little icons in Photoshop and added them to the bottom of
each page as "Go Back" links to the Main Menu and the Index page.
- August 12, 1995
- Since the UGCS server now supports individual-user cgi directories, I
wrote a Guest Book script and added that to the page. This should be
- July 30, 1995
- Faber has been dead for about two months; it finally came back up
today, so I took the opportunity to grab all the files off it and put
them on pacific.net. Now at least they're accessible. Faber now plays no
part in the TLK Page.
- July 22, 1995
- Fixed the last few links (as well as the Hans Zimmer Worship Page).
- July 20, 1995
- Realizing that the URL
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~btman/html/lionking.html was stupid and
unwieldy, I moved my directory structure around so 'lionking' was a
directory with its own index.html file. I left the old pages in place with
<META HTTP> calls to push Netscape users directly to the new site.
The move was painless, except I forgot to fix the textual links on the
main menu, under the imagemap... and I also managed to delete two or three
inline GIF images from the others.html page, which I then had to recreate
- June 31, 1995
- Well, I'm back. I have a job Webcoding for Pacific Internet, and so I have access
to my files at UGCS and can take care of things over the summer. So I
took down the 4-leaf clover. =)
- June 17, 1995
- I'm leaving tomorrow for the Boston FDCMuckMeet, to meet BigSimba and Jennifer and others,
and then to go home to possible non-net-access. I scanned a 4-leaf clover
and put it on the Main Menu to give the page good luck over the summer...
- June 5, 1995
- Heeeeeellllp! I've created a monster!
- June 1, 1995
- Matt Robinson learned HTML by writing up the FULL movie credits and
sending them to me to add into the page, which I was all too happy to do.
- May 30, 1995
- Added a Credits page to acknowledge all
those people who helped contribute to the page over the months.
- May 26, 1995
- I gave tlk-index.html a whole new look, changing the title block to a
centered table with the TLK logo as a large transparent GIF-- now it
looks a lot more "Official," which is why I put "UNOFFICIAL" very
prominently in the block. =) I also centered all the titles and made the
Archives look a lot better by putting the three major ones (Images,
Sounds, and Text Files) in a line, all with equal priority. Now it
matches the Main Menu better.
I also put in different inline images, including two at the bottom which
I especially like-- Timon (me) looking up at the page with satisfaction,
and Nala (Jennifer) peering at it like "Hmm... it's still not
The old file is still there for comparison, at old-index.html.
- May 24, 1995
- Jennifer wrote a Feedback page and linked it to a mail gateway, then
had me link it in from the main menu and the Index page. Replies
immediately started flowing in...
- May 21, 1995
- The owner of the counter mailed me telling me the page was getting
too many hits to continue using his counter, so I discontinued it. =(
- May 18, 1995
- I moved the Scripts and Other Sites to their own pages. The counter
is doing well-- I'm getting about 160 hits per day. However, I've caught
the Hellfrosh whiling away a happy afternoon reloading and reloading the
Image Archive page to rock the count... they had it up to about 300 (from
100) when I stopped them >:(
- May 17, 1995
- Since The Nook seemed to be a reasonable server (shyeah, right), I
put some QuickTime movies on it. These came from Jeffrey Speegle, and
took the better part of a day to download (his server is slow). Oh well...
- May 15, 1995
- Jesse Rosenstock, a fellow Caltech frosh living in Blacker Hovse with
me, sent me fakemail purportedly from email@example.com warning me to
take the page down or Disney would take legal action against me and
Caltech. I did a 'chmod -r *' on the directory to be safe and went up to
'kill -9' him, then came back down and re-enabled the page. I'll never
- May 14, 1995
- I copied the link to an off-site graphical counter from Josh
Templin's page and added it to about seven of the most popular pages.
- May 10, 1995
- I went through the Image Archive and converted it all to HTML 3.0
tables. Now, if only I can be sure everbody will be using Netscape...
- May 8, 1995
- I moved Jennifer's Main Menu page and the imagemap to my own site for
the sake of continuity.
- May 4, 1995
- Jennifer wrote a Main Menu page, which frankly looks great, and
configured a clickable imagemap to include in it. I immediately added it,
since it gave so much more organization to the page. Now the main menu is
lionking.html, and what used to be the main page is now the Index Page
(tlk-index.html). It still contains interesting things like the MAD
Magazine spoof-- things the Main Menu doesn't have the room for.
- May 3, 1995
- I got mail from The Washington Times congratulating me-- my page had
been showcased and reviewed in their paper on May 1st. The editor sent me
the article, so I included it in the page. Now if only it won't attract
- April 30, 1995
- You know, dill pickles go great with smokehouse almonds.
- April 26, 1995
- Ditch Day at Caltech. If you managed to see what happened to the page
today, well, this is the date it happened. If you missed it... good.
- April 23, 1995
- I changed the Other Sites page rather precipitously by making inline
images for all the links to all the 'character' pages, like Rafiki and
Scar and Nala and ... well, Timon. =)
- April 19, 1995
- Jennifer actually took the time to go through my HTML script and
convert it ALL to HTML 3.0 tables, making it look infinitely better. I
added it to the Scripts section in the page.
- April 16, 1995
- Increasingly paranoid, I stopped advertising the page's URL on
rec.arts.disney and alt.fan.lion-king. Of course this won't help if
Disney has one single lawyer who Web-surfs...
- April 15, 1995
- I noticed that Christian von Toerne's TLK Central Archive page has
been taken down, out of fear of retribution by Disney. I began to worry
and threw Copyright information all over the page, hoping that somehow
it'd be enough.
- April 4, 1995
- I grabbed all the beautiful 24-bit JPEGs from the TLK Screen Scenes
package and added them to the Image Archive. It looks like I've now got
plenty of images-- 135 or so.
- March 14, 1995
- My order of both full sets of the Skybox TLK cards arrived today--
and there was much rejoicing (yaaay). I began to scan some of my
favorites and add them to the Image Archive.
- March 1, 1995
- I added a Text Files page, which includes reviews (many sent to me by
Kevin Bissessar), essays, and original fan-fiction.
- February 27, 1995
- I gave Timon a page to call his own: timon.html.
- February 23, 1995
- I did some reorganization; now the image archive is on a separate
page, which makes the main page a lot easier to deal with.
- February 19, 1995
- I changed the page to HTML 3.0 format by adding a custom JPEG image as
a backdrop and making use of the <FONT> tag. Jennifer gave me
valuable advice on how to manipulate the colors on the page to appear easy
- February 16, 1995
- I scanned some highlights from MAD Magazine's spoof of TLK and added
them on a separate page. Hee hee hee...
- February 12, 1995
- I found a large .au file archive, and since the maintainer ("Russ")
said he was going to have to take the page down soon anyway, I grabbed
all the files and created sounds.html.
Unfortunately, however, the sound files took up 5 megs, so I had to stick
them on Faber, a PC in my alley in Blacker Hovse. Faber had just had a
Web server installed, httpd 1.4a, which tends to die every now and then
and require a reload. But since I live right next door to Faber, I can
maintain it myself...
- January 23, 1995
- The image files keep pouring in. I now have about 60. It's starting
to get a little unwieldy, but at least I can say that I think I have the
biggest image archive around. =)
- January 15, 1995
- A contact in France sent me about ten new images for my archive. At
this point I was desperate for images, and the fact that these were all
screen grabs and barely worth keeping failed to impinge itself upon my
- January 14, 1995
- I discovered Netscape 1.0N and switched to it from Mosaic, and
changed all the images to JPEGs to save on space.
- January 10, 1995
- In Math 1b lecture, I decided to write a home page, and then proceeded
to outline what I'd have on it. It would have two branches: one for
general stuff about me, and the other for The Lion King. I consulted Bryan
Carson for help on how to get one going, pulled down the Beginner's
Guide to HTML from Mosaic, and got going. The result was my home page (without any
backgrounds or other HTML 3.0 stuff), the General Info
page, and a TLK page that contained a title, the ten Buena Vista
images, my script, some links to other sites, some inline images, and
nothing more. The URL is